Wednesday, December 7, 2011

When I Grow Up

When I grow up, I would like to imagine myself as a Captain for Delta Airlines flying a 747. That is my ultimate goal. I know I have a long way to go, and I have many little goals along the way to get me there.

I is hard to find what Delta's job discretion of a captain. I was able to a good discretion of what any airline captain does. This was found on Avjobs.com.The Airline captain checks each flight with the airline's flight dispatcher and meteorologist, checking weight, fuel supply, alternate destination, weather and route. The pilot also briefs the crew, checks out takeoff procedures, ascertains that the plane is operating normally before takeoff, gets takeoff clearance from the air traffic control tower, flies the plane over the designated route, lands the plane, and at the final destination files a trip report. During the time the airline pilot is aboard the aircraft, he or she supervises the work of the crew, gives instructions, and makes all decisions. The Captain is in command of the plane and is responsible for the safety of the aircraft, its passengers, crew and cargo.

Now a little about Delta. As we all know Delta is a major airlines based in the United States. Its headquarters is in Atlanta Georgia. This airline operates extensively domestically and internationally, with flight going to all of the contentment. The exception is Antarctica as the is no reason to. The airline's hub is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which is the world's largest. Delta is the sixth-oldest operating airline, and the oldest airline still operating in the United States. Recently they merged with Northwest to form the worlds larges airline in terms of scheduled passenger. They are the second wold's larges in terms of passenger traffic.


As for the airline industry, it is vast and growing. Airline Industry Overview is quite lengthy.In the modern age, it is essential for economic growth, world trade, international investment and tourism. Because of this it can be considered the central for the globalization going on in many industries. The growth of world air travel has averaged approximately 5% per year over the past 30 years, with substantial yearly variations due both to changing economic conditions and differences in economic growth in different regions of the world. In the US airline industry, approximately 100 certificated passenger airlines operate over 11 million flight departures per year. This is also one-third of the total worlds traffic.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh....captain of a B747 for Delta. My husband shares that goal. I will tell you that he loved that airplane when he flew it for Kalitta and I often refer to it as "the other woman". Best of luck and keep in touch...I may have an in at Delta :-).

    ReplyDelete